I love that this night face lotion (kind of a balm that was named a lotion and now is stuck!) only has 6 ingredients and I can pronounce them all. There is something about it that gives skin a youthful, fresh and smooth appearance.
It is one of the first recipes I ever created and still one of my all-time favourites! I typically use it before bed because it is quite heavy (a little goes a long way), but don’t let that stop you using it in the morning, or on your hands, heels, arms and legs while you’re at it! One batch of this lotion will last you months and months.
As a side note, I have had at least 10 people tell me they’re getting comments that they look younger after using this night face lotion… How cool is that?!
NIGHT FACE LOTION
Makes: 200 g Prep time: < 10 min.
• 90 g carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil and sweet almond oil are popular choices)
• 60 g coconut oil (the type that solidifies)
• 30 g shea butter
• 20 g beeswax
• 30 drops of essential oils
MY CHOICE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are frankincense, geranium and lavender, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add carrier oil, coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax to a glass bowl and heat until completely melted, using either a microwave or the double boiler method. (Double boiler method– place bowl on a pot of gently simmering water and stir frequently; Microwave method– heat in short bursts on low, stopping and stirring frequently). Remove from heat.
2. Add essential oils and mix until combined.
3. Transfer into container of choice.
4. Place into the fridge or freezer to set (this will reduce the chance of graininess developing over time).
Apply a small amount of lotion to face and neck.
Once set, you might like to whip the balm with a spoon to ‘fluff’ it up.
AUTHOR & ADVOCATE FOR NATURAL LIVING
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious choices that honour both humans and habitat. It is her mission to gently guide people towards this beautiful way of life. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to increasing awareness on common and avoidable toxins, as well as educating individuals on simple ways they can adjust their lifestyles to better serve themselves, and the planet. Natural DIY is Krissy’s speciality, and she has sold over 50,000 copies of her recipe books, including her latest book, The Lifestyle Edit, the award-winning, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids.