Many commercial deodorants contain
I can only imagine how much toxic crap my body absorbed in my high school PE locker rooms, where Impulse was sprayed liberally by me and 40 other teenage girls… Not good at all. As well as being toxic, commercial deodorants can be expensive!!
So I created this natural deodorant recipe and have been using it since 2015. I must say that I, along with hundreds (even thousands) of others, all agree it’s pretty damn good! Having a thermal appliance makes it easy to create, and a little goes a very long way so you’ll save bucket loads of money too!
To help prevent any irritation, be sure never to apply after hair removal (especially shaving or waxing
NATURAL DEODORANT PASTE
Makes: 250 g Prep time: < 10 min.
• 65 g shea butter
• 65 g coconut oil (the type that solidifies)
• 10 g beeswax
• 70 g sodium bicarbonate (bicarb)
• 40 g arrowroot flour (or cornflour)
• 40 drops of essential oils
MY CHOICE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are patchouli, tea tree and lemongrass, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax to a glass bowl and heat until completely melted, using either a microwave or the double boiler method. (Double boiler method– place bowl on a pot of gently simmering water and stir frequently; Microwave method– heat in short bursts on low, stopping and stirring frequently). Remove from heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Transfer into container of choice.
4. Place into the fridge or freezer to set (this will reduce the chance of graininess developing over time).
Scoop a small amount of balm (the size of your fingernail is plenty) and rub gently onto clean armpits.
For an extra kick, substitute the arrowroot powder for bentonite clay – a simple straight swap. Sometimes deodorant paste just doesn’t cut the mustard for everyone all of the time and this little hack might just do the trick!
AUTHOR & ADVOCATE FOR NATURAL LIVING
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious choices that honour both humans and habitat. It is her mission to gently guide people towards this beautiful way of life. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to increasing awareness on common and avoidable toxins, as well as educating individuals on simple ways they can adjust their lifestyles to better serve themselves, and the planet. Natural DIY is Krissy’s speciality, and she has sold over 50,000 copies of her recipe books, including her latest book, The Lifestyle Edit, the award-winning, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids. She offers honest and gentle guidance, education and 100+ free natural DIY recipes on her website.