I figured out that not only was zinc oxide an effective ingredient in sunscreen, it is also incredibly healing, and is, therefore, an excellent addition to nappy rash cream (aka Baby Booty Balm)!!
So I tweaked my basic lotion recipe to include zinc oxide (which helps to protect by repelling water, meaning a wet nappy won’t cause irritation to the sensitive skin around your baby’s bum), recruited quite a few lovely mums to test the product on their tots, and after some raving reviews, this Baby Booty Balm is where I landed!
Just use your common sense; test a small amount of this on your baby, and see how they react to it. I can’t imagine they would have any issues as this is as pure as a baby’s cream can get, but like anything new, it’s safer to tread cautiously to start with (you might also prefer to leave the essential oils out – that’s your call).
Oh, you could also use this balm on chapped lips, chafe and dry skin – #winning!!
The Sunscreen Balm video below is practically the same as this nappy cream – it should guide you in the right direction if you’re a visual kinda person.
Baby Booty Balm
Makes: 265 g Prep time: < 10 min.
My Choice of Essential Oils
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are frankincense and lavender but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information on essential oils.
1. Add carrier oil, coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax to a glass bowl and heat until completely melted, using either a microwave or the double boiler method. (Double boiler method– place bowl on a pot of gently simmering water and stir frequently; Microwave method– heat in short bursts on low, stopping and stirring frequently). Remove from heat.
2. Add zinc oxide and essential oils (if using) and mix until combined.
3. Transfer into a container of choice.
4. Place into the fridge or freezer to set (this will reduce the chance of graininess developing over time).
5. To help evenly distribute the zinc oxide, periodically mix the balm as it sets.
Scoop a little balm with clean fingers and smooth onto baby’s clean bottom, after a nappy change. Repeat each nappy change.