If you’re looking for a change from my super-simple foaming body wash or hand wash and want something thicker and creamier, then look no further. This recipe for natural hand and shower wash is seriously amazing and with 5 ingredients, you can’t go wrong!
Enough with the chemicals hiding in even so-called ‘eco’ and ‘green’ brands. Fragrance, phenoxyethanol, cocamidopropyl betaine – all ingredients we should probably stay away from. If you have a spare 2 minutes, whip up this natural hand and shower wash, and your body and the planet will give you a big high-five for it!
CREAMY BODY WASH
Makes: 380 g Prep Time: < 5 min.
• 50 g hot water (see recipe notes)
• 25 g coconut oil (the type that solidifies)
• 1 tsp xanthan gum
• 200 g water – additional (see recipe notes)
• 100 g liquid castile soap
• 30-50 drops of essential oils
MY CHOICE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are peppermint and orange, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add hot water, coconut oil and xanthan gum to a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients and whisk again, either by hand or with an electric beater, until mixture is light and fluffy. This could take quite a few minutes if you’re whisking by hand. Periodically, scrape mixture down from sides of bowl.
3. Transfer into soap dispenser.
Dispense body wash as required and massage over body. Rinse with warm water.
〉Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
〉It’s so important to ensure you’re mixing the xanthan gum fully into the mixture.
〉You may need a wide-mouth funnel to get the mixture into your dispenser. I found that using a skewer to gently swirl/push the mixture through a funnel helped a lot.
AUTHOR & ADVOCATE FOR NATURAL LIVING
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious choices that honour both humans and habitat. It is her mission to gently guide people towards this beautiful way of life. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to increasing awareness on common and avoidable toxins, as well as educating individuals on simple ways they can adjust their lifestyles to better serve themselves, and the planet. Natural DIY is Krissy’s speciality, and she has sold over 80,000 copies of her recipe books, including her latest book, The Lifestyle Edit, the award-winning, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids.