This super salve is perfect for any area on your body; face, lips, elbows, bums, ears, feet… If you’re currently using Vaseline type products, you might like to try this as a replacement. It contains nourishing ingredients like coconut oil and Shea butter, with no petroleum jelly in sight. This by-product of the oil refining process, and a limited resource, is something I can’t understand why people are using when there are perfectly beautiful and nourishing plant-based, natural ingredients available.
There are many products on the market that doctors have been known to recommend for sensitive, eczema-affected skin. Sadly, many of them contain petrolatum – which the EU lists as a probable human carcinogen, (although it is important to note that companies should obtain certification from the producer of petroleum jelly stating that it is free of carcinogens).
Anyway, back to the Super Salve – I like lemon, lavender and tea tree essential oils, but you have permission to exercise your creative muscle and add whatever essential oils you please, depending on the purpose you wish it to serve (try adding eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint, and lemon for “Vapour Rub” replacement).
At the end of the day, the simpler you can make your skin care routine, the healthier you will be. And while your children may not appreciate the enormous efforts you’re going to for their health, they’ll thank you someday.
SUPER SALVE HEALING BALM
Makes: 200 g Prep time: < 10 min.
• 90 g carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil and sweet almond oil are popular choices)
• 45 g coconut oil (the type that solidifies)
• 30 g shea butter
• 15 g beeswax
• 20 g evening primrose oil
• 60 drops of essential oils
MY CHOICE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
My favourite essential oils in this recipe are tea tree, lemon and lavender, but don’t be limited by my suggestions. Use oils that fit your budget, or those that you already have in your collection. Read here for more information.
1. Add carrier oil, coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax to a glass bowl and heat until completely melted, using either a microwave or the double boiler method. (Double boiler method– place bowl on a pot of gently simmering water and stir frequently; Microwave method– heat in short bursts on low, stopping and stirring frequently). Remove from heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Transfer into container of choice.
4. Place into the fridge or freezer to set (this will reduce the chance of graininess developing over time).
Scoop a small amount of super salve and apply sparingly to areas as required.
AUTHOR & ADVOCATE FOR NATURAL LIVING
Krissy wants to see a world where people make conscious choices that honour both humans and habitat. It is her mission to gently guide people towards this beautiful way of life. With a background in education and health promotion, she devotes her time to increasing awareness on common and avoidable toxins, as well as educating individuals on simple ways they can adjust their lifestyles to better serve themselves, and the planet. Natural DIY is Krissy’s speciality, and she has sold over 80,000 copies of her recipe books, including her latest book, The Lifestyle Edit, the award-winning, Naturally Inspired - Simple DIY Recipes for Body Care and Cleaning, and her kids book, Make & Play - Natural DIY Recipes for Kids.